"No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk"
slswyoming
2005-02-08 18:37:01 UTC
computer: Dell Inspiron 8200 March 2003
operating system: Windows XP Pro SP1 + all current updates except SP2

I've been researching this error for hours! I'm getting another error, too,
it's one or the other: A:\ is not accessible. The disk in drive A is not
formatted.
Do you want to format it now? And, of course, it won't format.

The following advice from Microsoft is the only piece of info I could find
(after exhaustive searches in the "knowledge base") specific to the ID
Address mark problem:

"This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor byte in
the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older preformatted
floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older product disks may
also not have the media descriptor byte. "

"The media descriptor indicates the type of medium currently in a drive.
With MS-DOS and Windows 95, you do not have to set the media descriptor byte.
Therefore this problem does not occur with these older operating systems. "

"The media descriptor byte is located in the BPB of the boot sector at
offset 21 (15h) and in the first byte of each FAT on the disk.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, re-format the floppy disk with Windows 98, Windows
Millennium Edition, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server
2003.
WORKAROUND
Warning: This workaround is for advanced users only. This workaround
involves using a disk sector editor to modify the media descriptor byte on
the floppy disk. Misuse of a disk sector editor may make all the data on the
drive or volume permanently inaccessible. Disk sector editors function at a
level "below" the file system, so the typical checks for maintaining disk
consistency do not apply. This provides you direct access to every byte on
the physical disk regardless of access credentials. Therefore, you can damage
or permanently overwrite critical on-disk data structures. Use this
workaround at your own risk.

To work around this problem, use a disk sector editor to change the BPB
media descriptor byte to the appropriate value. For example, you can use the
DiskProbe tool to do this on a Windows NT 4.0-based, Windows 2000-based,
Windows XP-based, or Windows Server 2003-based computer. DiskProbe
(Dskprobe.exe) is included with the Windows Support Tools for Windows XP
Professional and Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, the Windows 2000 Support Tools,
and Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit Support Tools."

So, since some of the diskettes were rather older, I decided to install
these support tools and try DSKPROBE. I did use it, and made active logical
drive A: (that's the instructions, can't be physical, must be logical and
must be made active). Then chose "read" and the diskette is not readable!

I've now tried several floppies, both new and those already formatted,
written to, and read by my computer - can NOT read NOR format ANY floppies
today!

I've been a computer professional since 1980. My computer is locked down so
tight I can't hardly use the internet, I do Intelligent Updater manually
every day, have security settings to highest in IE except my trusted sites,
have Windows firewall running, and don't receive email junk, spam, files, or
"fwd" from even my closest friends (some aren't so close any more since I
blocked them for sending junk). I use old Eudora light so that I can get my
email in TEXT ONLY. There is NO WAY this is a virus!

It's a bug, Microsoft admits it, but if the "workaround" doesn't work, then
what?

I found some support forums where this had been posted, but the only answers
anyone got to the problem was "try another floppy, yours must be bad" and
"reformat the disk". Uh, duhh! I'm an expert tech, I need an expert answer
to this, if there is one.

PS: Please don't reply that I should upgrade to SP2, unless Microsoft can
provide evidence this specific bug is fixed in SP2. I am using software
which is irreplacable, and no longer on this earth, and nothing I've bought
replaces it, and I'm not willing to give it up (MS warnings about older
program compatibility on SP2). The name is Parsons Address Book. Parsons
bought by Broderbund. I bought their suggested software that has the "same
features" and it was garbage. I can't find another program anywhere in the
world like it. Hey developers, make some money and write one!
slswyoming
2005-02-09 13:39:05 UTC
Last night I put every one of these 12 floppys into a Windows98 machine and
they read just fine. The problem is not the floppies. They were
long-formatted in Windows XP Professional, so it's not the operating system.
They are standard 1.44 floppies.
Lawrence Garvin
2005-02-27 01:23:51 UTC
Did you consider the possibility that the floppy /drive/ is defective and
needs to be replaced?

I'd get Dell Technical Support on the line and have them walk through
hardware diagnostics with you. If the drive is defective, they'll ship you a
new one if you bought the 3 year parts warranty.

If not.. a replacement drive is very very cheap.